On the Street
Open Doors provide weekly outreach to women who sell sex on the streets of Hackney.
Team members go out in a marked NHS car between the hours of 4am and 8am on a Thursday morning.
We distribute condoms and syringe packs and provide hot drinks and food. Open Doors do as much work as we can with women we see on the street during this time, but given the time of day and the fact that other services are not open until at least 9am, we encourage women to come to the
Breakfast Drop-In (open on Thursday between 8am-2pm) where they can benefit from support and case management.
The kinds of services on offer are:
- Hot shower and clean clothes
- Cooked breakfast
- Free condoms
- Ordering new birth certificates
- Signing up for benefits
- Supporting women into housing (both supported and temporary accommodation) often possible on the day of drop-in but never more than a few days wait for an appointment
- Same day access to a methadone script (usually 30mls)
- Same day access to screening and treatment for STI’s
- Support with housing or utility bill problems
- A specialist worker who can help if you have been raped or sexually assaulted
- A specialist worker who can help if you are in trouble with the law or need help to navigate the criminal justice system
- Workers who are knowledgeable and supportive if you are or need to be involved with Social Services
- A male worker who can offer support and services to a male partner if you have one
All of these services are provided at the drop-in but also at the office in which we are based at St Leonards Hospital. If you would like to learn more about our service for Hackney street sex workers contact Fatima on 07971 795 203.
The male partners of street sex workers can often be hard to reach and find services difficult to access. You may have issues with homelessness, poor health and addiction and our Male Partners worker can support you to link into a variety of health and social welfare services in Hackney.
If you would like to talk to our Male Partners worker about getting help and support then call:
Reg on 07852918403
The Experience project is supported by the West Hackney Parochial Trust.
This is a support and advice service for women wishing to explore ceasing or reducing street sex work. We work with women to build skills and confidence around volunteering, numeracy and literacy and to develop a personal plan that supports them to identify a range of personal challenges and goals. Weekly support and creative sessions at our drop-in enable women to start planning medium to long-term goals of integration into employment and education. Support with these workshops comes from a range of professionals and visits to local training providers.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with the EXperience Project we will ask you to commit to a programme of activities (minimum 4 weeks) and be DBS checked in line with Homerton University Hospital Trust guidelines. Volunteering is unpaid, however, Open Doors is able to allocate an agreed amount towards each project for the cost of project resources. Costs will be agreed in advance by Open Doors. We are interested in talking to individuals who could tailor short, creative and active courses for women. To discuss this further please contact Georgina.Perry@Homerton.nhs.uk
Please also see Policing and street based sex work.