If there is a problem
- Try to stay calm
- If you shout for help then give clear instructions e.g. “Help, I’m being attacked”
- If someone demands your money or bag or phone decide what the risk to you is if you say no.
- If you think you are being followed make for a busy, well lit area or public place e.g. police station, pub, garage, shop. Do not head for home. It is safer to stay in a public place.
- It is OK to make lots of noise and attract attention to yourself from other passers by, doing this could save your life.
- Consider phoning your local outreach service to report any Ugly Mug.
- Try to leave a small personal object at the scene of an attack. You can then identify this later if you report the incident to police
- Don’t be embarrassed to run away from a customer with no or few clothes on if you need to get urgently to a place of safety.
- If you have been attacked, robbed, raped or sexually assaulted your attacker may have left finger prints or DNA. Keep all objects that the attacker has touched and place them in a clean plastic bag. Contact Open Doors so that we can discuss what to do next.